Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. MKII NR Head - Black
Midwood Guitar Studio is a proud dealer of Dr. Z Amps!
From Dr. Z:
Originally designed as a “grab-and-go” studio and small club amp, the MAZ 18 has made its way to some of the largest stages in the country. Don’t confuse “18 Watts” with “weak and flabby”. The MAZ 18 will amaze you with its definition and headroom, all the way down to the low E…plenty of power for a single 12″ speaker or 2×10″ speakers. You’ll use this amp in small clubs and never think about needing to mic it. Got a larger venue? Mic the MAZ 18 and play away, because big amp tone and soul is all there. This is also a great amp for jazz guitarists, whether you’re looking to replace a small blackface amp or looking for an amp with enough complexity for fusion.
The MAZ 18 is an amp that every Strat or Tele player will love, but it’s not only for single coil players as humbuckers are right at home with the MAZ 18 too. You get great hard rock drive at any volume with the Hi input or use the Lo input for cleaner humbucker sounds. The “Cut” knob may be the most useful and versatile tone shaping tool on any guitar amp. The “Cut” knob is best used after the EQ is all set; turn it up for extra edge, turn it down for a more vintage sound. Throughout its range, it produces a large variety of sounds to satisfy players using all guitars for most every style of music.
The master volume is post-phase inverter which allows you to achieve whisper quiet volumes with no loss of tone or gain, great for home practice sessions. The variable boost footswitch gives a great lead boost which effectively makes the MAZ 18 a 2 channel amp. The MAZ 18 is powered by a pair of NOS Russian Mil-Spec 6n14n power tubes rated to last twice as long as other EL84 variants.
The MAZ 18 has become Dr. Z’s most popular model over the last 20 years of it’s production. We have listened to player feedback, and over the course of the last 5 years developed improvements in every facet of the circuit.
- New, versatile voicing providing pristine American cleans, chiming British overdrive, and juicy hard rock crunch in one package.
- Specifically tuned post-phase inverter master volume allows you dial in your tone at any volume, down to whisper quiet.
- Improved spring reverb for subtle richness or splashy surf tones.
- Buffered effects loop for seamless, transparent integration with your pedalboard.
- New Old Stock Russian mil-spec 6n14n (EL84) power tubes rated to last twice as long as new production EL84s.
- Variable boost footswitch is included, providing anywhere from a small bump in volume to all-out, singing distortion.
- Power Output: 18 Watts
- Output Tubes: 2 – 6N14N (NOS, mil-spec EL84)
- Preamp Tubes: 4 – 12AX7, 1 – 12AT7
- Rectifier: 1 – 5AR4
- Controls: Volume, Treble, Mid, Bass, Cut, Master Volume
- Other: 4, 8, 16 Ohm
- Effects loop
- Variable Boost Footswitch
- Head: 19” W, 9 3/4” H, 9 1/2” D; 32 lbs.