This guitar is a sonic cocktail that blends subtle features both modern and vintage. The hide glue construction really lets it breathe, ensuring that not a drop of vibration is lost. The composite carbon fiber bridge-plate makes elegant use of a new material, contributing almost no extra weight to the top while adding volume and crispness. Visually, it’s all about the subtle and not so subtle details. It looks like an iconic D-28 at first, but then that flamed European maple flashes in the light. Notice that the Martin logo in the headstock has an unusual, ornate flourish to it. The top, back and side woods are what’s really striking. This East Indian Rosewood looks like prime Brazilian! The red streaks remind of the last bit of the sunset before nightfall. The Sitka top has been blessed by their VTS (vintage tone system) to give it the voice and hue of a wizened, mature instrument.
The D-28 Modern Deluxe is a new take on Martin Vintage. This guitar is packed with custom features and modern technology that you have to see, feel, and hear for yourself. The vintage appointments include a Sitka spruce Vintage Tone System (VTS) top, a dovetail neck joint, and natural protein glue construction that give it the rich, fully aged Martin tone that has inspired generations. The look is unlike anything in our production line to date with European flamed maple binding, stylish gold frets, gold open-gear tuners, and a unique 1930s style script logo inlaid in pearl on the headstock. Some ultra-modern features include a titanium truss rod, Liquidmetal® bridge pins with red dots, and a composite carbon fiber bridgeplate that boosts volume without adding weight. And we’ve included a new neck shape that is slightly asymmetrical for maximum hand comfort up and down the fretboard. This guitar is anything but standard.
- Body Size: D-14 Fret
- Finish Top: Gloss
- Construction: Dovetail Neck Joint
- Back and Sides Finish: Gloss
- Bracing Pattern: Forward-Shifted X-Brace
- Scale Length: 25.4"
- Brace Shape: Scalloped
- Nut Width: 1 3/4''
- Top: Sitka Spruce with VTS
- Neck Shape: Vintage Deluxe
- Back and Sides: East Indian Rosewood
- Neck Taper: High-Performance Taper
- Bridge Style: Modern Belly - Drop in Saddle
- Binding: European Flamed Maple
- String Spacing: 2 5/32"
- Top Inlay Material: Bold Herringbone
- Bridge:: Ebony
- Saddle: Compensated Bone
- Rosette: Style 28 Multi-Stripe
- Saddle Radius: 16"
- Bracing: Adirondack Spruce with VTS
- Brace Size: 5/16"
- Back Strip: Zig-Zag Authentic
- Back Inlay: Multi-Stripe
- Heelcap: European Flamed Maple
- Endpeice: European Flamed Maple
- Endpeice Inlay: Multi-Stripe
- Neck Material: Genuine Mahogany
- Fingerboard: Ebony
- Neck Finish: Satin
- Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2 1/8''
- Fingerboard Inlay: Diamonds and Squares Long Pattern
- Number of Frets: 20
- Inlays: Abalone
- Side Dots: Abalone
- Headstock Shape: Solid with Square Taper and Diamond
- Tuning Machines: Gold Open Gear
- Headplate: East Indian Rosewood
- Knob: Butterbean
- Logo: Stylized Script Inlay
- Nut: Bone
- Case: Hardshell